Monday, March 19, 2012

Blog Entry 1: "Hype"

I am convinced, that specially now days advertisement are the most toxic of the mental pollutants.

     The marketing field is huge and is taken very seriously by those whose expertize is to attract the public using commercial ads or what ever medium it takes to transmit a message in favor of a product, company or service.

     Once I read in a article of CNN "e-news" quote "More than 50 percent of the total information that America's population  receives, is in regards commercial propaganda" this consisted in a study  between persons of age 12 to 45 years old. Like Kile Lasn the author of "Hype" wrote "There is no where to hide. No one is exempt and no one will be spared." OK, those words might sound a bit drastic, however it is a very true fact. I have noticed myself  being exposed to so much advertisement that I end up impulsively going for shopping with out the need to do so.

Also, allow me to add a fact about the city where I live, New York City, the place where you can find the maximum exhibition of advertisement, nothing similar like Time Square, home of the most enormous displays of ads I ever seen. Every single time catches my eyes.

Not to forget, there is a great amount of research done in marketing in order to develop strategies intended to capture the public's attention.No wonder the most successful company's in America invest the majority of their resources in advertisement.


Advertisement consumes a large part of our mental capacity due to the reasons mentioned above, unfortunately this is a tendency which will not change any time soon. I personally expect, some time in the future there will be an organization which will control this issue and make our daily life less mentally toxic.

No comments:

Post a Comment